Double is a flexible assistant service for busy executives based on experienced US assistants, empowered by great tech. We help CEOs and their teams save time and focus on what they do best without the cost of hiring, by matching them with a dedicated remote assistant. Double provides the tools and methods to make delegation and task management effortless, so executives and assistants are always in sync. We help our clients with scheduling, travel, inbox management, administrative tasks, and much more.
We started in April 2018 and have closed $6M+ in fundraising with top-tier VCs. We grew our revenue 5x in the last year, and are now looking for an exceptional People leader to support and build our growing team. The team is 18 people today, either based in our HQ office in NYC or fully remote all over the US, and we have a community of 100+ Double assistants.
We're on a mission to help people rethink how they work and live, and focus on what matters to them. Let's build the future of delegation together!
About the Role
As Director of People, your mission will be to:
- Make sure we attract the best talents for both our HQ team and our community of assistants
- Ensure the team is supported, motivated, performant, and inspired
- Keep building a strong and diverse hybrid culture for our team based in NYC and all over the US
The right person for the role is a roll-up-their-sleeve, get-stuff-done individual with strategic vision who has experience building and scaling teams from a very early stage. Our work environment is fast-paced, exciting, transparent, and flexible. We work hard to support each other in many ways and you will get all the support you need to grow your career to the next level.
You will be reporting directly to Alice, our CEO, and co-founder, and will work with her to define priorities for your first 3, 6, and 12 months. You will also work in close contact with our team leads (Marketing, Customer Success, Product + Engineering, Operations), and will have one Talent Acquisition Specialist reporting to you and the opportunity to grow your own team quickly.
What You Will Do
- Partner with team leads on organizational planning and upcoming HQ roles based on company goals and ensure all positions are filled, including for the People team
- Oversee and implement best practices relating to the recruitment of Double assistants to meet our goal of hiring 200 Doubles in the next year in the US and France, while ensuring a smooth experience for candidates of all backgrounds
- Own our onboarding experience for HQ team members and partner with the Ops team to shape the onboarding experience for doubles.
- Build out a strong employer brand for both HQ and doubles that helps us attract amazing people
🙌 Retention + People Growth
- Cultivate and maintain programs and processes to develop needed individual skills, knowledge, and experience at all levels of the organization in an effort to foster a culture of continuous learning
- Implement tools and services to measure engagement and well-being, monitor results, and lead improvements
- Facilitate talent calibration, succession management, and high-potential employee programs
- Empower team leads to guide their teams with their professional projects to grow within the company
- Partner with relevant stakeholders to build and maintain effective compensation frameworks across the org including comp bands, promotions framework, and stock option incentive and retention policies. We currently have a transparent salary grid that we base all compensation on.
- Manage all benefit programs and education and create a comprehensive roster of other perks including wellness programs, employee discounts, etc.
🌎 Culture + DEI
- Ensure our values are understood, lived, and shared by all team members
- Own and innovate on our team rituals and events (weekly all-hands, team week, annual offsite, Lunch + Learn, etc.)
- Maintain strong culture, connection, and communication across our distributed team
- Build and maintain inclusive internal policies to reflect our team
- Ensure we are always keeping DEI top of mind and embedding best practices in our day-to-day. We've already started by sharing our diversity stats on our website, check them out!
📝 Admin, Legal + Compliance
- Own general People Operations-related administration including payroll, offboarding, terminations, and employee leave
- Maintain responsibility for general compliance including regulations, paperwork, and reporting
- Manage and resolve employee relations issues, including conducting thorough, effective objective investigations
Who you are
- You are passionate about building great teams and great cultures
- You are comfortable in both a strategic role and have the ability to roll up your sleeves to get the job done. You are willing to do hands-on recruitment to help the team grow faster.
- You are excited to have ownership, take initiative, and have a say at the table. You love the challenge of a fast-paced startup environment and learning constantly.
- You have an extremely high EQ with a natural ability to communicate clearly, build relationships and collaborate cross-functionally and cross-culturally.
- You're interested in the business side of things and enjoy finding creative solutions to challenging situations.
- You like to have fun at work!
- You have 7+ years of experience in People Operations or progressive growth in HR roles
- You have 4 years of experience managing a team, in a rapidly scaling or startup environment and with a successful track record of building great teams with different backgrounds
- You have experience collaborating with independent contractors
- You have been involved with high-volume recruitment processes.
- Experience building and maintaining a multi-cultural team is a plus
- HR certifications (SHRM, PHR, or CIPD) are a plus.
Benefits + Perks
- An insanely supportive team, working to build great products and make delegation simpler and easier for everyone, with a strong focus on work-life balance, transparency, and support
- The flexible choice of working 100% remotely, partly remote, or 100% from our Brooklyn Office
- A competitive salary and a generous equity package
- Unlimited PTO
- Participation in medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Wellness stipend to help you manage and balance your physical, emotional, educational, and financial well-being
- Offsite team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.