Double is a flexible assistant service for busy executives. We help CEOs and their teams save time and focus on what they do best, by matching them with a dedicated remote assistant. Double provides the tools and methods to make delegation and task management effortless, so executives and assistants are always in sync. We help our clients with a wide range of tasks, like scheduling, travel, inbox management, administrative tasks, personal tasks, and much more!
We started in April 2018, and our latest Series A fundraising of $8.5M in October 2021 places us among the most dynamic players in productivity. We grew 4x in the last year, and are now looking for an exceptional Full-stack Software Engineer to join our team.
On the product front, we've built a software ecosystem that includes apps for Web, iPhone and Chrome, for both assistants and executives. Our product mission is to help CEOs become better executives by providing the platform to efficiently communicate, manage tasks, improve their delegation skills, and build the best relationship with their assistant.
Internally, we’ve created custom tools and dashboards to empower our Operations and Customer Success organizations to scale our business by matching executives with assistants and keeping our customers happy and engaged.
Let's build the future of delegation together!
About the Role
As part of our engineering team, you will have a strong impact and ownership on our backend services and also contribute to our web apps, both internal and client facing. You will collaborate with Software Engineers, Product Managers, and members of the Operations and Customer Success teams to deliver useful, usable and desirable internal tools and product experiences.
You will also integrate our service with third party client-facing products and APIs, such as Slack, and possibly Zapier or other productivity tools in the future.
Our backend is built with Node, a PostgreSQL DB, Apollo Federation, TypeScript, MongoDB. Our web apps are built with Apollo GraphQL, React Hooks and TypeScript. We also build a native iOS app in Swift (UIKit and SwiftUI).
Our backend integrates with multiple third party APIs, such as Twilio, Airtable, Google Calendar, Slack, MailChimp, Intercom and many more.
What You Will Do
In the 1st month:
- Get familiar with our products and understand how they work from the end-user point of view
- Get up to speed on the structure of our backend and web codebases
- Solve a few starter bugs and ship some improvements to our existing stack
- Setup a simple automation to improve our internal processes
In the first 3 months:
- Partner with Product and Web teams on a medium scope feature, build it end to end, ship it to end users
- Build internal tools to support our ops and customer service teams
- Engage with our community of assistants to help them when they face a bug or an issue
- Be involved in user research efforts to develop empathy with our users
- Participate in brainstorming sessions to weigh in on the features you are involved in and on the larger product roadmap
In the first 6 months:
- Lead the implementation of a large scale project that has implications on a large surface area of our product. This may be an integration of the Double service with third party APIs
- Have a solid intuition of what projects are hard and what projects are easy to deliver given our technical stack
- Solve a pain-point in the developer experience that will make your fellow engineers eternally grateful
- Modernize our backend to enable new capabilities in our client applications. For instance, you may work on enabling GraphQL Subscription support on our Apollo Server
- Handle a complex bug by adding more instrumentation
- Write a few simple scripts and bots that integrate with our teams tools to keep everybody in the loop
- Solve performance issues both backend and client side
- Respond to an incident in production and derive learnings from it to make sure it does not happen again
- Feel comfortable filling the gaps left by the Product team when you encounter an edge case, and know when to ask for a second opinion
Within the first 12 months:
- Have re-written from scratch or deleted the feature you launched in your second month, and be fine with it!
- Have participated in hiring and onboarding new teammates to the team
- Have contributed to defining our engineering culture
- Have interacted with all functions in our organization, including Operations, Customer Success and Marketing, to make sure we are building the right product
- Maybe have merged a few PRs to our iOS codebase to get out of your comfort zone!
Who you are
- You have a BS/MS in computer science or equivalent work experience
- You have 3+ years of programming experience including 1+ year React, Node, TypeScript, and GraphQL experience.
- You have a deep understanding of relational databases
- You are familiar with or excited to learn about Apollo, React Hooks, Redis, Chrome Extensions, various productivity APIs (Slack, Zapier...)
- You are a strong believer in software engineering best practices (automation, peer reviews, ...)
- You are passionate about solving a wide range of software engineering challenges, about making people more productive and about building well designed products. You like sharing your opinion about the product we are building, even though you don't need to be the expert.
- You are a self-starter and are not afraid to deal with ambiguity. You are excited by the ownership opportunities that come with joining an early-stage company.
- You like taking initiative to make your team more efficient, by implementing tooling and process improvements.
- You are not afraid of throwing code away as you understand that small companies need to change quickly. You are open to getting out of your lane and contribute to parts of our stack that are new to you, when it delivers the most impact for the team.
- You bring energy to your teammates and thrive at pushing things forward. You communicate well with a diverse team.
Benefits + Perks
- An insanely supportive team, working to build great products and make delegation simpler and easier for everyone
- A competitive salary, and a generous equity package
- Fully remote position & the technology you need to work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- A 401(k) plan with matching
- Participation in medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Wellness stipend to help you manage and balance your physical, emotional, educational, and financial well-being
- Offsite team outings
*To apply, click the button below, complete the form and we will be in touch within 2-3 business days.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.