Double is a flexible assistant service for busy executives. We help CEOs and their teams save time and focus on what they do best, by matching them with a dedicated remote assistant. Double provides the tools and methods to make delegation and task management effortless, so executives and assistants are always in sync. We help our clients with a wide range of tasks, like scheduling, travel, inbox management, administrative tasks, personal tasks, and much more!
We started in April 2018, and our latest Series A fundraising of $8.5M in October 2021 places us among the most dynamic players in productivity. We grew 4x in the last year, and are now looking for an exceptional Staff Android Software Engineer to join our team.
On the product front, we've built a software ecosystem that includes apps for Web, iPhone and Chrome, for both assistants and executives. Our product mission is to help CEOs become better executives by providing the platform to efficiently communicate, manage tasks, improve their delegation skills, and build the best relationship with their assistant.
Internally, we’ve created custom tools and dashboards to empower our Operations and Customer Success organizations to scale our business by matching executives with assistants and keeping our customers happy and engaged.
Let's build the future of delegation together!
About the Role
As the first Android Engineer on the team, you will be responsible for setting up the foundation for our Android apps for both executive and assistants, release them to production and iterate towards feature parity with other platforms, and beyond.
You will collaborate with Software Engineers, Product Managers, Product Designers, and members of the Operations and Customer Success teams to deliver useful, usable and desirable Android applications for the Double platform.
As Double keeps growing, you will be in charge of onboarding and mentoring new Android contributors as they join forces with you to build an app our team is proud of and our customers enjoy.
Our Android stack will be yours to design, with the support and feedback from the rest of the engineering team. We want our apps to fit the design language of their platforms, and run natively for best-in class performance. You will be setting the bar for code and product quality on the Android platform.
Our iOS app is native, built in Swift (UIKit and SwiftUI) and uses Apollo GraphQL for backend communication.
Our backend is built with Node, a PostgreSQL DB, Apollo Federation, TypeScript, MongoDB. Our web apps are built with Apollo GraphQL, React Hooks and TypeScript.
What you will do
In the first month, you will
- Get familiar with our products and understand how they work from the end-user point of view
- Get up to speed on the structure of our existing codebases, and the frameworks we use across platforms (such as Apollo GraphQL)
- Set up a strong and modern foundation for the Double Android apps
- Build the roadmap for core feature parity on Android, and set a milestone for a first release
In the first 3 months, you will
- Internally release MVPs of our Android apps and collect feedback from team members
- Engage with our community of assistants to identify beta testers and collect feedback from them directly
- Participate in brainstorming sessions to weigh in on the features you are involved in and on the larger product roadmap
- Prepare for the first public launch of our Android apps on the Play Store
In the first 6 months, you will
- Start balancing feature parity work with experimenting with features entirely new to Double
- Lead the implementation of a large scale project that has implications on a large surface area of our product, beyond the Android platform
- Have a solid intuition of what projects are hard and what projects are easy to deliver given our technical stack
- Respond to an incident in production and derive learnings from it to make sure it does not happen again
- Feel comfortable filling the gaps left by the Product team when you encounter an edge case, and know when to ask for a second opinion
Within the first 12 months, you will
- Have re-written from scratch or deleted the feature you launched in your second month, and be fine with it!
- Have participated in hiring and onboarding new teammates to the team
- Have contributed to defining our engineering culture
- Maybe have merged a few PRs to our iOS codebase to strengthen you mobile expertise
Who you are
- You have a BS/MS in computer science or equivalent work experience
- You have 5+ years of native Android programming experience
- You are familiar with or excited to learn about Apollo, GraphQL
- You keep up to date with the state of the art of the Android platform (Kotlin, Coroutines, Jetpack Compose…)
- You are a strong believer in software engineering best practices (automation, peer reviews, ...)
- You are passionate about solving a wide range of software engineering challenges, about making people more productive and about building well designed products. You like sharing your opinion about the product we are building, even though you don't need to be the expert.
- You are a self-starter and are not afraid to deal with ambiguity. You are excited by the ownership opportunities that come with joining an early-stage company.
- You like taking initiative to make your team more efficient, by implementing tooling and process improvements.
- You are not afraid of throwing code away as you understand that small companies need to change quickly. You are open to getting out of your lane and contribute to parts of our stack that are new to you, when it delivers the most impact for the team.
- You bring energy to your teammates and thrive at pushing things forward. You communicate well with a diverse team.
Benefits & Perks
- An insanely supportive team, working to build great products and make delegation simpler and easier for everyone
- A competitive salary, and a generous equity package
- Fully remote position & the technology you need to work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- A 401(k) plan with matching
- Participation in medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Wellness stipend to help you manage and balance your physical, emotional, educational, and financial well-being
- Offsite team outings